Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 501 Bifolium from Liber completus in iudiciis stellarum.
TitleBifolium from Liber completus in iudiciis stellarum.
- Ibn Abī al-Rijāl, ʻAlī, 1015 or 1016-1062 or 1063
Other related names
- Thebaldis, Aegidius de, active 15th century, translator
- Regio, Petrus de, translator
- Rosenthal, Bernard M, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 501
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9960927563503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- approximately 1320
Bifolium from a 14th-century manuscript copied in England of the mid-13th-century Latin translation by Aegidius de Thebaldis (assisted by Petrus de Regio) of the Old Castilian translation of an 11th-century Arabic treatise on astrology. The text on the bifolium is from Book 5 and Book 6 of the work, which are in the section concerning nativities. The bifolium has been bound in reverse so that the leaf with the end of Book 5 and the beginning of Book 6 (and the historiated initial marking the division) are on the first leaf, followed by the originally earlier leaf containing material from Chapter 14 of Book 5. Two marginal section headings (f. 2r) in the same hand as the text; a few brief marginal annotations.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger based on heading for Book 6 (f. 1r).
Extent2 leaves : 314 x 234 (246 x 170) mm bound to 346 x 260 mm
BindingModern paper over cardboard, with gilt cover label (Ibn Abi 'l-Rijal, Liber in iudiciis stellarum, England, circa 1320, MS 1317 ES).
8-line historiated initial depicting a monk and a woman with an armillary sphere on a gold ground (slightly rubbed) with a bar border in blue, red, and gold with ivy-leaf finials extending through the full left margin and into the upper and lower margins (f. 1r); 2 3-line decorated initials, one a puzzle initial in red and blue with penwork in red and blue (f. 1r) and the other in red with blue penwork (f. 1v); alternating red and blue paragraph marks.
- Formerly owned by Bernard M. Rosenthal (note in pencil on letterhead, front flyleaf).
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal as part of his private collection to Bernard Quaritch Antiquarian Books (London), 1987.
- Appears in Quaritch's catalog 1147 (Bookhands of the Middle Ages, Part V, 1991), number 107; sold to a private collector in Switzerland.
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 20 November 2013, lot 34, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2014.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astrology, Arab--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy, Arab--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize LJS 501: Bifolium from Liber completus in iudiciis stellarum. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0027_0001.tif (75.1 MB)
0027_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0027_0001_web.jpg (359.2 KB)
Decoration: Seller's description, Inside front cover
0027_0004.tif (75.1 MB)
0027_0004_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
0027_0004_web.jpg (492.9 KB)
Decoration: Historiated initial, Initial I, Woman and monk holding armillary sphere, f. 1r
Decoration: Puzzle initial, Initial C, f. 1r
0027_0005.tif (75.1 MB)
0027_0005_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
0027_0005_web.jpg (415.7 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial C, f. 1v