Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 422 Haft paykar. / [هفت پيکر]
TitleHaft paykar. / [هفت پيکر]
- Niẓāmī Ganjavī, 1140 or 1141-1202 or 1203 نظامى گنجوى،
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 422
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954448733503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1500 and 1599
Lacunose 16th-century copy of a 12th-century romance about the life of Bahrām Gūr, a 5th-century king of Iran; its title (in English, Seven beauties or Seven images) refers to the seven princesses that Bahrām marries, each of whom tells the king a story as part of the narrative.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Fragile; worm damage, particularly in gutters; oxidation causing long, straight cuts at the ruled margins of several leaves.
Extent68 leaves : 248 x 158 (166 x 88) mm bound to 248 x 166 mm
FoliationPaper, viii + 68 + viii; [1-68].
BindingRed Morocco with blue painted frame and tooled design of circles along the frame, detached. Doublure same as board covers.
Illuminated headpiece (f. 1v); ; columns and diagonal sections in margins outlined in gold; outer margin of text block framed in gold, green, and blue; headings in red ink.
- Sold by bookseller Thomas Thorpe (London) to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 10465 (stamp, first flyleaf; paper label on spine).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's by the Trustees of the Robinson Trust as part of a collection of Persian, Turkish, and Arabic manuscripts owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, 25 November 1968, lot 233, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Manuscripts, Persian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Romances (document genre)
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 422: Haft paykar. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 422: Haft paykar.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
6971_0001.tif (81.2 MB)
6971_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
6971_0001_web.jpg (300.2 KB)