Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 55 Judeo-Arabic commentary on 1st Samuel, 25:30-27:10; 2nd Samuel 12:14-13:6
TitleJudeo-Arabic commentary on 1st Samuel, 25:30-27:10; 2nd Samuel 12:14-13:6
Call numberHalper 55
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-12th century?
- Hebrew lead-phrase is vocalized and in relatively squared characters; the end of an article is signified by a sof pasuḳ and spaces of various width; The author provides Arabic translation of the verses upon which he comments, but, unlike the translation-commentary of Japheth ben 'Ali, this commentary is more cursory, and does not cover the entire text; Fol. 1 contains articles on I Sam. XXV 30,33, 39, 44, XXVI 7,8,10, 14,15,19,20 and XVII 10. Fol. 2 contains articles on II Sam. XII 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, 30, 31, XIII 2,4,6. Much of the notes are philological; It is not likely to be 'Ali ben Israel (ms. Petersburg RNL Evr.- Arab I 3361, missing I Sam. XXIII-XXVIII) whose articles are more intensive. Comparable to the commentary on Samuel found in Oxford Bodleian Heb. e.76 fols. 41/42 (Cowely 2861, 14); In three instances here, the end of a sidra is signified in the margins with a ס, one between I Sam. XXV 30/33, one before XXVII 10 and one before II Sam.XII 14; There is no graphic demarcation in the commentary itself at any of these junctures, which indicates that the ס's are probably from a secondary hand; Beneath the latter two, this hand also records the beginning of verse after the precise sidra break. These match all the sidra breaks signified in the Aleppo Codex; The divine name is presented: יוָי as is common in Karaite works.
- Condition: complete; some places faded and stained.
Extent15.2 X 17.8 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Karaitic literature
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 55: Judeo-Arabic commentary on 1st Samuel, 25:30-27:10; 2nd Samuel 12:14-13:6 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.