Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 62 Judeo-Arabic commentary on Daniel 9-12 ; Judeo-Arabic essay on messianic eras
TitleJudeo-Arabic commentary on Daniel 9-12 ; Judeo-Arabic essay on messianic eras
Call numberHalper 62
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageOfficial Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Judeo-Arabic; Hebrew
11th century or 12th century?
- Fol. 1 appears to be from a preface to the essay, or perhaps unrelated to the essay, on fol. 2 (written in the same hand); it contains praise to God, and covers the recto and top two lines of the verso, in large characters in well-spaced lines;The remainder of the verso bears shorthand notes in a different hand, possibly preparatory notes for a sermon, starting with Song of Solomon I 3, leading to Exodus IV 30-31; Fol. 2 is from a historosophic essay in Judeo-Arabic, on Messianic eras, subdivided into numbered end period's (קצים a term based on Daniel XI 13 as in Saʹadia Gaon's Kitāb al-Amānāt wa'l-iʹtikādāt VII 3-5); This folio contains the end of a discussion on the seventh such period, that of the Hasmonean era, citing Talmud Shabbat 21b (introduced as in the late Gaonic monographs: קאל אלחכ) including the baraita there on lighting the Hanukkah Lamp; This is followed by the eighth era, the future salvation alluded to in Daniel XII 6-13; this essay may be an expanded subtopic in a work whose subject is Daniel (or at least the visions in Daniel XI-XII), a literary structure common in Saʹadia's works; The essay is followed by another, under the heading וישם פניו (Daniel XI 17), expounding on the vision in Daniel XI 17-24, attributing it to the Moslem era. He mentions מחמד ומלך אלאסלאם.
- Condition: non-consecutive; loss in lower exterior corner.
Extent18.1 X 14.6 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Messianic era (Judaism) , Early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 62: Judeo-Arabic commentary on Daniel 9-12 ; Judeo-Arabic essay on messianic eras are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.