Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 70 Notes for a treatise in Judeo-Arabic on the significance of words
TitleNotes for a treatise in Judeo-Arabic on the significance of words
Call numberHalper 70
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Probably a draft; It is unclear what the function of this essay is; fragment opens with statement that there are three types (צ'רב) of לקיחה, in obedience of God, in disobedience, and neither; He then proceeds to quote Biblical and Talmudic sources for the first type. Fol. 2 begins with the list of sources of the third type. After just one example, a new article is started about the usage of לקיחה in the context of death; Talmudic sources are quoted in full form, and listed by tractate and chapter (and occasionally by placement in the chapter: ערלה תחילת פרק ב); the Talmudic sources are not necessarily for the purpose of the article, rather to give depth to the context; For example, a large section of Sanhedrin 22a-b is copied because it part of it relates to Ezekiel XLIV 16. This gives the impression that this is a draft of sources for an encyclopedic article; The only named post-Talmudic source is Sa'adia Gaon, whose Tafsir to Exodus is mentioned.
- Condition: complete, non-consecutive; erasures, marginalia.
Extent17 X 12.7 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew language , Phraseology , Early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 70: Notes for a treatise in Judeo-Arabic on the significance of words are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.