Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 87 Gaonic Talmud digest, Shabbat (74b-75b)
TitleGaonic Talmud digest, Shabbat (74b-75b)
Call numberHalper 87
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageHebrew; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
11th century-12th century?
- Text breaks marked by punctus plus three spaces; Includes texts and glosses from Shabbat 74b l. 18 to 75b l. 39. Many of the articles are copied verbatim or contracted from the Talmud text, omitting the Amoraic dialectics (and names). So this is apparently not a fragment of a gloss; The article in the first 8 lines of the fragment is found in article 228 of Judah Barzilay's ha-ʹItim, which is copied from Ḥai Gaon's Gloss on Talmud Shabbat, as was recorded by L. Ginzburg in Ginzei Schechter (Ginze Shekhṭer / Louis Ginzberg. New York : JTS, 1928-1928, v. 3, p. 324-331); and again by B.M. Levin: Otsar ha-geʾonim / Benjamin Menasseh Levin. Haifa, 1928-1943, v. 2, p.32-33; The article in verso ll. 3-15 also appears in 'Itim article 232 adjacent to an article presented in the name of Ḥai Gaon (Levin, ibid. 35-36, par. 136); The last article, ll. 25-28 is also likely to be from Ḥai's gloss, as it is similar to the article recorded in 'Arukh ̌(ב"ט (1 under the heading פירשו הגאונים (see Levin, ibid. p. 36 par. 137).
- Condition: damaged, losses in foot interior edges.
Extent19.3 X 14.4 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew language, Talmudic
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 87: Gaonic Talmud digest, Shabbat (74b-75b) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.