Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 90 Talmud gloss, Bava metsiʹa 86a
TitleTalmud gloss, Bava metsiʹa 86a
Call numberHalper 90
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageHebrew; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
12th century-13th century?
- 1 text break marked with 3 dots (after 86a l. 35 מעלה); catchword at end of verso; From a version of the tale of the death of Rabbah bar Naḥmani, which appears in Talmud Bava metsia. (86a ), this folio contains the text based on 86a l. 29 הקב"ה to l. 37 התם הוא; Much of the difficult Aramaic has been translated into Hebrew, laconic sentences have been completed, so it is more likely to be from an Aggadic anthology or Talmud gloss, than from a Talmud ms; This may be from Ḥananel ben Ḥushiel's gloss on Bava metsia, although no text of his for this passage has been found, and the ms. is not from any of the five Genizah mss. of Ḥananel on Bava metsiʹa assembled by J. Rovner: Proceedings of the Academy for Jewish Research v. 60 (1994), Hebrew Section p. 67-71; The Hebrew translation of the word גונדא (at 86a l. 33) here is חיל המלך as in the Arukh.
- Condition: damaged, losses in exterior edge.
Extent16 X 10.9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 90: Talmud gloss, Bava metsiʹa 86a are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.