Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 109 Early Talmudic gloss, on Yevamot (22b-23b; 24b-25a)
TitleEarly Talmudic gloss, on Yevamot (22b-23b; 24b-25a)
Call numberHalper 109
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Catchword on the bottom of verso; article endings marked with a punctus; three line addendum in margin of recto; Short comments, closer to the sporadic style of Rashi, than the flowing style of the Gaonic glosses. This is not Rashi's gloss, nor Judah ben Nathan's. No sources are mentioned by name. This hand is known to have copied other Talmud glosses that may have been from pre-crusade Worms or Mayence, that were later to be obscured by Rashi; The recto contains comments on the end of 22b to the end of the Mishnah on 23b. The verso contains comments on 24b הנטען על אשת איש to the beginning of 25a; This Ashkenazic cursive hand has produced many large parchment folios and fragments found in the Genizah, all of which are Talmudic glosses and commentaries, some of which are obscure and appear to have been composed before Rashi; They cramp 45-60 lines per page and often contain extensive addenda in the margins. Folios from such codices are extant, on Menaḥot as in Cambridge T-S F3.59, and on ʹArakhin in Oxford Bodleian Heb. d. 34 fol. 96 (Cowely 2680, 20); Folios from a codex containing glosses on the smaller tractates at the end of Ḳodashim are found in London, British Library Or. 5558A; Oxford Heb. d. 80, fols. 34-35; New York JTSA ENA 3593, 6; Oxford Heb. d. 48 fol. 40 (Cowely 2760, 17), attached to a folio in the same hand, from Samson of Sens' Tosafot on Pesaḥim, other remnants of which are found in Oxford Heb. c. 23 fol. 53 (2667, 20); Heb. d. 63 fol. 46 (2826, 25); Cambridge T-S F4.8; and Petersburg RNL Antonin B 316; There are also nine folios from a gloss on Bava batra in Cambridge T-S F3.73, and fragments from one on Bava metsia in British Library Or.12299 fol. 9 and Cambridge T-S F3.7.
- Condition: fragment from bottom part of a folio (Halper: lower corner), faded.
Extent13.7 X 17.9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 109: Early Talmudic gloss, on Yevamot (22b-23b; 24b-25a) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.