Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 110 Judeo-Arabic commentary on Alfasi Bava kamma V, (89-93; 98-100)
TitleJudeo-Arabic commentary on Alfasi Bava kamma V, (89-93; 98-100)
Call numberHalper 110
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Fol. 1 starts with the end of an article on Bava kamma 47a, in Alfasi item no. 89 (20b l. 23). The writing ends at the end of the article on Mishnah V 2, in the upper third of fol. 1b; Fol. 2 resumes, presumably after a missing folio, with Mishnah V 4 (48b in Talmud, 21b l. 1 in Alfasi, item no. 98), and continues through the Talmudic extrapolation on Mishnah V 5 (49b. in Alfasi ibid ll. 42, item no. 100). The rest is empty; The empty space on fol. 2b may indicate that this is a fragment from a draft; The text is divided into articles that start with the lead phrase of the Mishnah (even as the Mishnah is not the subject of the article). The text is mostly a simplified restatement of the Talmudic text, with a few narrative phrases and translations in Judeo-Arabic; Only material which appears in Alfasi is brought here, apparently the intention of the author is to use the Talmudic information collected by Alfasi, to extrapolate on the Mishnah; This structure and style are typical of the Alfasi glosses composed in the circle of Maimonides' pupils, such as Ishmʾael ben ha-Khemon and Ḥanaʾnel ben Shemuel, in which the subject is Alfasi, but the text is structured around the Mishnah, employing Alfasi as a supplement for Mishnah study; Compare to the fragments of one such gloss on Alfasi Bava kama, found in British Library Or. 5563f (Published by Levin, Ginze Kedem, vol. V (1934), pp. 141-144; Otsar ha-geʾonim Bava kamma p. 117) and seven more folios of that same autograph draft, Cambridge T-S F9, 11. See ben Benedict, Kiryat Sefer, vol. XXVIII (1952-53), pp. 214-218.
- Condition: consecutive, complete; slight damage; lower half of 1v blank.
Extent16.4 X 12.7 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 110: Judeo-Arabic commentary on Alfasi Bava kamma V, (89-93; 98-100) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.