Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 114 Early midrash on Genesis 40:18-41:3; 46:28-47:1
TitleEarly midrash on Genesis 40:18-41:3; 46:28-47:1
Call numberHalper 114
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageHebrew; Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Fol. 1 contains Midrash on the end of Ṿa-yeshev to the beginning of Miḳets, Genesis XL 18- XLI 3. Fol. 2 is from Ṿa-yigash ibid. XLVI 28- XLVII 14. Much of the material is unique, but some parallels can be drawn to other midrashic texts, such as Midrash Rabah Bereshit 88 (fol. 2a); The hand may be identical to that of the ancient palimpsest copy of compendium of Midrash Rabbah Genesis, Cambridge T-S 12.208 and 189, whose 8 extant fols. (=2 bifolia) were published by M. Sokoloff in Ḳiṭʻe Bereshit rabah min ha-Genizah [Genizah Fragments of Bereshit Rabba], Jerusalem 1982, description and bibliographic details in p. 22 (manuscript 10), a facsimile on pl. 10, the list of remnants on p. 209 (the Halper fragment is not listed; see also M. Sokoloff and Y. Yahalom, Revue d'Histoire des Textes VIII (1978), pp. 109-132); the Cambridge fragments contain 28-29 lines per side [if from same codex, fol. 2 likely precedes Cambridge T-S 12.189, fol. 2]; See: Hebrew-Greek Cairo Genizah palimpsests from the Taylor-Schechter collection : including a fragment of the twenty-second Psalm according to Origen's Hexapla, ed. Charles Taylor, Cambridge [Eng.] : University Press, 1900. Appendix II n. 2 : The Acts (p. 93-95 , pl. XI).
- Condition: non-consecutive; losses from upper exterior, along center crease, holes (rodent damage?); faded, especially flesh side; staining from inactive mold; moisture damage along lower corner of fol. 2.
Extent16.1 X 12 cm (bifolium 24.4 X 19.5 cm).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 114: Early midrash on Genesis 40:18-41:3; 46:28-47:1 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.