Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 138 Judeo-Arabic treatise on the sale of marital property (Bava batra 49b-50a); Lists of Talmudic laws on the limitation of sales
TitleJudeo-Arabic treatise on the sale of marital property (Bava batra 49b-50a); Lists of Talmudic laws on the limitation of sales
Call numberHalper 138
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-12th century?
- From a Gaonic Judeo-Arabic monograph based on Talmudic passages, presented in their original language, with Arabic narrative. No. 142 contains classified and numbered lists of Talmudic laws, on the limitations on sales; Fol. 1r (Halper 142) is a list of sales forbidden by halakhah, similar in concept, but not in content, to the tenth chapter of Ḥai ben Sherira's Kitab al-Shiraʹ wa-al-bayʹ; The fragment includes the eighth and ninth members of the list, the sale of slaves and animals to non-Jews, based on Gittin 44. The verso contains the second member of, presumably, a different list, on the limitations of a wife selling marital property, based on Mishnah Ketubbot VIII 1; Halper 138 (fol. 2?) contains an exposition of the Talmudic passage in Bava batra 49b-50a on the sale of marital property, possibly the continuation of the list on Halper 142 verso. May be from Ḥefeẓ ben Yaẓliʾaḥ's Book of Precepts; This may be from Samuel ben Ḥofni Gaon's monograph on the Laws of sales (Kitab al-buyu), a title that appears in Genizah booklists (See Sklare: Samuel ben Ḥofni and his cultural world / by David E. Sklare. Leiden ; New York : E.J. Brill, 1996, p. 19).
- Condition: consecutive(?: fol. 1 = Halper 142, fol. 2 = Halper 138) ; losses from bottom edges, and internal edge of Halper 138.
Extent13.2 X 11.4 cm (Halper 138); 14 X 14 cm (Halper 142)
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Property (Jewish law)
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 138: Judeo-Arabic treatise on the sale of marital property (Bava batra 49b-50a); Lists of Talmudic laws on the limitation of sales are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.