Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 152 Instructions and texts for bethrothal and wedding ceremony in Judeo-Arabic
TitleInstructions and texts for bethrothal and wedding ceremony in Judeo-Arabic
Call numberHalper 152
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageJudeo-Arabic; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
12th century-13th century?
- In one place the Arabic narrative is separated from the text by a period; The recto starts with the end of the ketubah text, (ibid. chapter 28 p. 190) which is missing in the Oxford ms., as the author states (p. 132 l. 8, in the ms. recto ll. 16-17) that the text is omitted here because it appears in the chapter of document formularies (chapter 28); This is followed by the ceremony instructions under the headingתרתיב עקד אלקידושין ואמא תרתיב ברכת אירוסין. The Blessing of Betrothal ends as in the Oriental custom: מקדש ישראל. Unlike the printed edition, here the first of the Nupital Blessings ends shhkl br ́lkbvd shmv. This unusual version is also found in one copy of Hilkhot Alfasi British Library Or. 5558 N fol. 79; the fragment ends toward the end of the Marital Blessings קול חתן וקול.
- Condition: complete; cropped(?).
Extent18.7 X 13 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 152: Instructions and texts for bethrothal and wedding ceremony in Judeo-Arabic are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.