Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 156 Responsa
- Ḥai ben Sherira, Ḥai ben Sherira,
Call numberHalper 156
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-14th century?
- The responsa are not numbered but divided into paragraphs, in which the lead word ודשאלתם is in large characters; Fol. 1r is mostly erased and faded, only the exterior half of the writing is legible. The remnant mentions the name ʹAyyash ben Menasheh, and includes the reponse of R. Ḥai to Fez on the funeral service, which appears in Halakhot of Isaac Ibn Ghiyyat (1038-1089): Shʹare śimḥah / Yitsḥaạk ben Yehudah ibn Ghiyat. Fürth, 1861, part II p.59a); see S. Abramson: ʹInyanut ba-sifrut ha-Geʾonim / Sheraga Abramson. Jerusalem : Mosad ha-Rav Ḳuḳ, 1974, pp. 107-108; Fol. 1v contains one complete responsum, on eating locusts citing R. Sa'adia Gaon, and the beginning of another on Bava batra 40a; this sequence also appears in a cluster of Responsa published by Alexander Harkavy: ha-Peles, shanah 2 , p. 47; Fol. 2 contains the end of a responsum on female minors, citing Sanhedrin 54 and Niddah 44-45, and the beginning of another on Musaf for Rosh ha-shanah. The latter is partially cited in the name of R. Ḥai Gaon, in the Halakhot of Isaac Ibn Ghiyyat, part I p. 28.
- Condition: non-consecutive, complete (Halper: forming outer sheet of a fascicle); damaged, erasures, faded.
Extent17.8 X 13.5 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Responsa , To 1040
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 156: Responsa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.