Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 160 Classified lists of responsa
TitleClassified lists of responsa
Call numberHalper 160
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-13th century?
- The first two fragments (Halper 160) are presumed to be from the same folio one adjacent and below the other, possibly the first folio of the codex. The folio is titled "A volume of many inquiries to the Nagid starting with responsa of R. Nissim"; See Abramson: Rav Nisim Gaon / Shraga Abramson [ed.]. Yerushalayim : Meḳitse nirdamim, 1965, introduction p. . This is followed by an enumerated list of 12 decisions, in concise Hebrew. The next list is in Judeo-Arabic, and is titled ופיה איצ'א אוגבה מסאיל מן קבלת; The fragment ends at the ninth member of this enumerated list; The verso is written in a smaller, less cursive hand. It contains a list of responsa to which every member is allotted a serial number and the name of the Talmudic tractate to which it is pertinent; There are 23 members of this list, from tractates Megilah, Yom Ṭov (Betsa), Yoma, Berakhot (6), Bava Metsiʹa and Sukah; The verso of the second folio (161) is from a similar list, presumably the 11th list, the fragment includes items numbered 19-29, which is the end of the list; The next list, the 12th, is titled [?אלי״ב מנה למרינו ר[ב] יהודה בן יוסף פא[סי, referring to the recipient of a volume of responsa. The author of the responsa is presumed to be R. Ḥai Gaʾon. See Abramson: Ba-merkazim uva-tefutsot bi-teḳufat ha-Geʾonimn / Shraga Abramson. Jerusalem : Mosad ha-Rav Ḳuḳ, 1965, p. 81; The fragment ends after three members of this list. The recto of fol. 2 is in the same hand as the recto of fol. 1, and includes items 5-23 of a list of responsa in Judeo-Arabic; Classified lists of responsa (called "דרג") are found elsewhere in Genizah. See Ginzberg, Geonica / Louis Ginzberg. New York : JTS, 1909, vol. 2, p. 54-71; Ginze Shekhṭer. : New York, JTS, 1928-1929, vol. 2, p. 420-425; Levin: Ginze Ḳedem, vol. 2, p. 43-44; Abramson: ʹInyanut ba-sifrut ha-Gaʾonim / Shraga Abramsom. Jerusalem : Mosad ha-Rav Ḳuḳ, 1974, p. 211-217.
- Condition: 2 fragments from one leaf, torn, badly damaged.
Extent22.8 X 13 cm (Halper 160, pieced together), 12.9 X 13.2 cm (Halper 161)
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Responsa , To 1040
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 160: Classified lists of responsa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.