Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 180 Part of a prayer book for the Evening Service, Sabbath eve
TitlePart of a prayer book for the Evening Service, Sabbath eve
Call numberHalper 180
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Copied in rough hand; partially vocalized; Fol. 1 is from the regular Evening Service, the final Blessing of the Recitation of the Shemaʹ sequence, that links it to the ʹAmidah, that starts אמת ואמונה. The fragment starts with ואמרו כולם מי כמוך; In this version, the paragraph before the Blessing גאל ישראל is more expanded then that of R. Saʻadia's Siddur (identical to the common version), but is similar to that found in the Siddur of Solomon of Sujulmassa (in the published edition, S. Croizer: Seder Rav ʻAmram Gaʾon zal / Shemuel Yerushalmi [ed.]. Jerusalem : S. Hagai, 1995, from ms. Oxford Bodleian 899, pp. 22). The end of the fragment is faded and illegible; Fol. 2 is from the Sabbath Eve Service, the fragment contains the end of the ʻAmidah, followed by a sentence in Arabic, with instructions for the rest of the service for an individual. The remaining bottom two lines of the recto and the whole verso are Mishnah Shabbat Chapter II (במה מדליקין), the fragment reaches Mishnah 2, here too the bottom is faded and illegible.
- Condition: non-consecutive, complete.
Extent14.1 X 9.5 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Sabbath , Liturgy , Texts
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 180: Part of a prayer book for the Evening Service, Sabbath eve are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.