Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 181 Prayer book, evening blessings of the recitation of the Shemaʻ, for the evening after Sabbath
TitlePrayer book, evening blessings of the recitation of the Shemaʻ, for the evening after Sabbath
Call numberHalper 181
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Copied in a rough hand; numerous omissions, possibly filled by same hand; orthography and vocalization (partial) are at times peculiar, probably errant; From the Evening Service for the eve after Sabbath, contains the blessings of the recitation of the Shemaʻ from the beginning of the service והוא רחום almost to the end of the last Blessing before the 'Amidah; This includes the special supplementary verses for the Eve after Sabbath, as they appear in Siddur Rav Saʻadiah Gaon (Sidur Rav Seʻadyah Gaʹon / Israel Davidson [ed.]. Jerusalem : Meḳitse nirdamim, 1963), p.123 l. 7-p. 124 l. 7 (although there it does not start with והוא רחום); There are a few additional phrases that do not appear there, most conspicuous is the text of the Havdalah, inserted in the poem אמת ואמונה אמרה איומה (fol. 3 recto). These supplements were a subject of controversy among the Gaonim, as is mentioned in Siddur R. Amram Gaon, (Seder Rav Amram Gaʾon, Warsaw, 1865, p 31).
- Condition: consecutive, complete.
Extent19.7 X 14.3 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Siddurim , Texts
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 181: Prayer book, evening blessings of the recitation of the Shemaʻ, for the evening after Sabbath are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.