Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 182 Prayer book with instructions in Judeo-Arabic, parts of Evening Service and Morning Service, Sabbath
TitlePrayer book with instructions in Judeo-Arabic, parts of Evening Service and Morning Service, Sabbath
Call numberHalper 182
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-13th century?
- Parchment of fol. 2 was cut diagonally before usage, as the writing fits the shape of the cut; ext breaks denoted by a sof pasuḳ, plus a space; Fol. 1 starts with the text of the assembled verses between the Shemaʹ sequence and the ʹAmidah that start start ברוך י'י לעולם, (Sidur Rav Seʻadyah Gaʹon / Israel Davidson [ed.]. Jerusalem : Meḳites nirdamim, 1963, pp. 27-28) with numerous variations in content and order; Followed by instructions to recite here the ʹAmidah . Under the headline צלוה אלשבת appear the instructions in Arabic for supplementary material for Sabbath Eve: Psalms CI and XCII, followed by the Blessings of the Recitation of the Shemaʹ with the supplementary verses for Sabbath Eve (as in Sa'adia, ibid. p. 110) אשר כלה מעשיו; These preliminary Psalms are found in the Siddur of Solomon of Sujulmassa (in the published edition: Sidur Rabenu Shelomoh be-Rabi Natan, zatsal, av bet din min ha-ʻir Sig'ilmasah / Shmuel Yerushalmi [ed.]. Jerusalem, 1995, from ms. Oxford Bodleian 899, p. 31), and reflect the Eretz-Israel rite, see E. Fleischer, Tefilah u-minhage tefilah Erets-Yiśreʾeliyim bi-teḳufat ha-Genizah. Jerusalem : Magnes, 1988, chapter, 3. This fragment is mentioned there, pp. 174, 177; After missing folio(s), fol. 2 resumes with the Sabbath Morning service. The fragment starts with the end of the reading of the Ten Commandments (Deut. V 18-19), apparently a supplement to the end of Pesuḳe de-zimrah, as it is followed here by נשמת כל חי (as in Sa'adia, ibid. pp. 119-120), which covers the rest of the folio, up to וכל לבבות ייראוך.
- Condition: non-consecutive; losses, holes along edges.
Extent17.4 X 14 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Sabbath , Liturgy , Texts
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 182: Prayer book with instructions in Judeo-Arabic, parts of Evening Service and Morning Service, Sabbath are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.