Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 189 Fragment from a supplicatory prayer
TitleFragment from a supplicatory prayer
Call numberHalper 189
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Two fragments from the upper edge of their fols; Halper 188 is from the internal fold of a bifolium; Halper 189 is from the upper exterior corner. In both, no more than 12 lines are extant, preserving no more than three words per line; The fragments appear to be from a prayer of the baḳashah type, in which emphasis is put on the limitations and timeliness of man contrasted to the infinity of God. Comparable in content to Sa'adia's second Baḳashah. Biblical phrases are used, including Job XXXIV 15 and XIV 20.
- Condition: 2 fragments, non-consecutive(?).
Extent12 X 6.3 cm; 14.9 X 8.2 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Siddurim , Texts
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 189: Fragment from a supplicatory prayer are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.