Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 194 Poetic supplement for Grace after meals
TitlePoetic supplement for Grace after meals
Call numberHalper 194
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-14th century?
- Interlinear and marginal addenda; catchword found at bottom of fol. 2v ; two vocalized words; A fragment from the Grace after meals, containing the end of the second blessing and the beginning of the third. Both blessings are heavily expanded with a sequence of verses comprised of the names of the weekly Torah portions in their order (the fragment includes אחרי מות to וזאת הברכה, presumably the end of the sequence); The names of the months, constellations and books of Hagiographia are also interwoven into the third blessing. The verses are arranged into rhyming groups (strophes) of fives; This format and elements are identical to a different piyyut of this type, found in Cambridge T-S H10, 89 (partially published by A. Habermann: Yediʹot ha-Makhon le-ḥeker ha-shirah ha-ʹIvrit, v. 5 (1939), p. 99-100).
- Condition: consecutive, complete; marginalia.
Extent12 X 8.2 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 194: Poetic supplement for Grace after meals are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.