Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 211 Haggadah for Passover, probably belonging to a Palestinian rite ; Haftorah blessings ; Birkat ha-mazon
TitleHaggadah for Passover, probably belonging to a Palestinian rite ; Haftorah blessings ; Birkat ha-mazon
Call numberHalper 211
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageHebrew; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
10th century-11th century?
- Halper states: "The first 3 leaves hang loosely"; unclear whether the last 3 leaves of prior fasc., or 1 bifolium + fol. ([1
- 2]+3? 1+[2
- 3]? [13]?) ; fols. 4-11 form an 8 fol. fascicle (4 bifolia: 4
- 11, 5
- 10, 6
- 9, 7
- 8; foliation, right-to-left, is: [11[10[9[8
- 7]6]5]4]); Text breaks denoted by a punctus, plus a space; circle occasionally added; Probably from a Siddur or a Maḥazor, as fol. 1 recto contains the end of the blessings on the Haftarah (from יבוא ויגל לבנו to the end). These are for a regular Sabbath, as specified in the text: יום השביעי הגדול והקדוש הזה; The Hagaddah for Passover follows immediately, under the headline קדוש פסח. The Kiddush is for Passover Eve on Sabbath; Contains the unusual blessing form בורא מיני מעדנים as appears in the Talmud Yerushalmi, VI 1 (fol. 3 recto. See N. Wissenshtern (Piyuṭe Yoḥanan ha-Kohen Be-Rabi Yehoshuʻa / Nachum Weissenstern [ed.]. Jerusalem : Hebrew University, 1984) compares this to the blessing of the Erets Israeli rite alluded to in Yoḥanan's Piyyut for Dew); The question series מה נשתנה contains only three: מטבילין, מצה and צלי (as in Mishnah ms. Kaufmann and Alfasi); The fragment ends with the Grace after meals (fol. 10 verso), under the heading ברכה, including much poetic embellishment, starting with an acrostic אז בפסח גאלת. This continues almost until the end of the first blessing. The final page of the fragment, 11 verso, is faded and illegible; An addenda on fol. 4 recto is written upward in the margin, and is partially vocalized, another, in the internal margin of fol. 6 recto is in square characters; Three lines on fol. 5 verso are encircled.
- Condition: orn. dev.; consecutive, nearly complete; fols. 1-3 eroded at edges; bifolia separated due to conservation.
Extent13 X 15.5 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Haggadot , Liturgy , Texts
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 211: Haggadah for Passover, probably belonging to a Palestinian rite ; Haftorah blessings ; Birkat ha-mazon are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.