Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 219 Liturgical poems, probably for funeral services
TitleLiturgical poems, probably for funeral services
Call numberHalper 219
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Verse endings are signified by a punctus, strophe endings by a sof pasuḳ and paragraph break; Fol. 1 recto and the upper third of the verso: under the heading אחרת לחכם a dirge of six strophes, four rhymed verses each (except for the final strophe which has 6). Apparently not intended for any specific sage; Starts: האספו אנשי אמת. This dirge appears in Cambridge T-S K25.15 where it is attributed (in the heading) toישועה הכהן בן יוסף הדיין. This poem was published by Sarah Cohen, Tarbits v. 69 (2000, p.449-460) on p. 460, from a different fragment: JTSA ENA 2165; The remainder of the fragment, under the heading אחרת, contains the first eight strophes of a Eulogy poem בן אדם אל, probably intended for a Rosh Yeshivah in Erets Israel; Four rhyming verses each, the first starts בן אדם followed by the acrostic א-ת at the head of each verse (the fragment reaches verse ס).
- Condition: complete, consecutive.
Extent17.6 X 13 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Libraries).
- Funeral rites and ceremonies, Jewish
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 219: Liturgical poems, probably for funeral services are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.