Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 274 Liturgical poems for mourners
TitleLiturgical poems for mourners
- Yoshayah ben Neḥemyah. Yoshayah ben Neḥemyah.
Call numberHalper 274
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Only fol. 1r is fully vocalized; The first segment of the fragment is a Tsiduk ha-din, apparently unrhymed. The beginning is missing. Ends כי מעשה ידיו כולם. The second, and final segment starts on the verso of fol. 1 l. 3 אל ל]בו יתן החי ויפקח עיין], constructed of four-verse strophes; The content ends towards the bottom of fol. 2 verso, followed by a colophon, marked by a graphic border. It readsחזק לרב יאשיה החזן\ בירבי נחמיה ראש\ הפרק תנצב"ה, which identifies the author of the dirges; The exact same colophon is found on a fragment of liturgical pieces in British Library Or. 5557A fols. 47-58. This Josiah's ḳetubah written to Kharima bat Isaac, is in Oxford Bodleian Heb. a. 2 fol. 1 (Cowely 2805, 1) dated 1055; His father the Rosh Perek of Fustat is the recipient of a responsum of R Ḥai Gaon in Cambridge NS 324.112 Mosseri VII 157, dated April 1037 (Gil, Be-Malkhut Ishmael, 1997, vol. II no. 40), in which our author is blessed by the Gaon (l. 14).
- Condition: consecutive; losses along upper and exterior edges.
Extent13.7 X 8.8 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Jewish mourning customs
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 274: Liturgical poems for mourners are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.