Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 305 Ḳerovot for Shemonah ʹeśreh
TitleḲerovot for Shemonah ʹeśreh
Call numberHalper 305
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
10th century-12th century?
- Verse endings denoted by a period. The name of the blessing, which is often catenated into the following verse, often denoted by a circle after; effort is made to align the alphabetic acrostic at the beginning of the line, but the copyist is not always successful; blank remainder at the end of Halper 304 fol. 2v is filled with four graphic fillers;A. The first ḳerovah, covering most of Halper 298 fol. 1, is too damaged to identify; B. After a paragraph break, and the heading חורן, the second starts אתה בשמים עידי. Alphabetized strophes (א-צ) of three verses for each of the 18 blessings. The folio ends after the first verse of the Meḥayeh (strophe ). Continues on Halper 305 fol. 1 up to the middle of the verso. The following headline infers that this ḳerovah, and possibly the one preceding it, are designated for the Sunday; C. The next ḳerovah is designated in the headline for יום ב. Starts אור מקדם צץ וזרח. The same scheme as the preceding ḳerovah. Continues on Halper 304, ending at the bottom of the recto of fol. 1, where the heading of the next ḳerovah is found: ליום ג׳; D. The beginning of Tuesday's ḳerovah is in the missing corner of the fol., it ends on the top of Halper 304 fol. 2 וישב עמי בנוה שלום. Alphabetized strophes (א-צ) of two verses; E. For Wednesday, אודה י'י בכל לבב. The same scheme as the preceding one, the first verses are successive phrases from Psalm CXI; F. The day for the next ḳerovah is not specified. The strophes (א-ג) of the first three blessings are not provided. Starts דעת וחהכמ הבינינו. The strophes contain only one verse each, rhymed נו-. Ends at the bottom of 304 fol. 2 verso ושלום וברכה תשביענו; G. Halper 305 fol. 2 continues with אדון למענך עזרינו. The same scheme and rhyme as the preceding ḳerovah; H. As in F, this ḳerovah starts in the ד strophe for the fourth blessing, דעת דתך למד לנושאי אמיתך. The strophes have two verses, each rhymes תך-; I. This ḳerovah also starts in the strophe for the fourth blessing. The first word of the next ḳerovah is missing (it should start with a ד, viz.: ד. לידעי בינה). Halper 305 ends at strophe נ, which continues in Halper 298 fol. 2. The strophes consist of only two verses each. The last one is י'י יברך את עמו ישראל; J. The next ḳerovah starts דרכיך י'י הודיעני. The two verse strophes are in alphabetic order starting with ד and reaching at least to צ; K. Of the next ḳerovah אאזרני חיל נגד היכלי, strophes א-ח are extant. Two verses per strophe, the second verses are biblical, beginning י'י; Halper 304 and Halper 305 are listed among Genizah sources of weekday ḳerovot, Abramson, Tarbits, v. 15 (1944), p. 64. The version of the Ạmidah blessings alluded to here were used by Arthur Marmorstein, Monatsschrift für Geschichte und Wissenschaft des Judentums, v. 69 (1925), p. 37-39.
- Condition: consecutive; losses; fire damage; Halper 298 fol.2 unevenly cut.
Extent10.1 X 9.6 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 305: Ḳerovot for Shemonah ʹeśreh are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.