Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 309 Ḳedushta for the Sabbath of the reading of Shimʹu
TitleḲedushta for the Sabbath of the reading of Shimʹu
Call numberHalper 309
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-12th century?
- A complete, non-consecutive bifolium; strophe endings are signified by a sof pasuḳ; The latter part of a Ḳedushta for the Sabbath of the reading of Shimʹu, the Haftara of the second of the Three Weeks of Rebuke, corresponding with the Torah reading of Mas'ae (end of Numbers), from Jeremiah II, which servers as the theme text for this ḳedushta. The segments are short, consisting of one or two followed by a refrain, that is alluded to, but not copied; sporadic vocalization;A. (fol. 1r) The last verse of piyyuṭ, ends אם תאבו ושמעתם טוב הארץ; B. (fol. 1v) Each of the next two segments is one strophe of six verses: אשרי אדם שומע לי; C. יחיד ומיוחד; D. Two strophes, starting אוזן לא הטו לשמוע תוכחות. The suggested melody is אויב בכניס;E. ואת שדודה שכולה וגלמודה. Nine rhymed verses; F. Fol. 1v ends after the first strophe of שמעו איתנים מוסדי ארץ by Yoḥanan ben Yehoshuʹa ha-kohen. Four verses per strophe, the first starts with the word שמעו; the third, והעידו; the fourth, ועד לא; this piyyuṭ appears as the sixth segment of Yoḥanan's Ḳedushta for this Sabbath, in Oxford Bodleian Heb. f. 36 (Cowely 2738, 1) fols. 1-7, published by Naḥum Ṿisenshṭern (Piyuṭe Yoḥanan ha-Kohen be-rabi Yehoshuʹa, Doctoral Dissertation, Hebrew University) Jerusalem, 1984, pp. 73-74. There is a lacuna between this and the following fol; G. (fol. 2r) The last 2 strophes of a piyyuṭ, ends endsשמע י'י חנני. Followed by allusions to the parts of the Ḳedushah; H. (fol. 2v) the upper half of the page is blank. The lower half contains 2 four-verse strophes (א-ד), starting אמנם חמש ערלות רמז ציר לעדתו. Verses 2 and 4 are alphabetized. The theme is the five Covenants, as mentioned in Midrash Pirḳe de-Rabi Eliezer, XXIX.
- Condition: non-consecutive, complete.
Extent14.4 X 11.4 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 309: Ḳedushta for the Sabbath of the reading of Shimʹu are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.