Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 311 Judeo-Arabic essay on biblical homonyms
TitleJudeo-Arabic essay on biblical homonyms
Call numberHalper 311
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
10th century-11th century?
- Commentary on a piyyuṭ? Halper (p. 164): "The writer explains the force of thirteen difficulat and rare words which are employed in this piyyuṭ, instead of easier synonyms, for the sake of effect [...]"; text commences with a numbered list (8-13) of words, with definitions in Arabic, and Biblical sources that infer various usage of the given word. Perhaps a forerunner of the Maḥberet of Menaḥem ibn Saruḳ. It is unclear what is unique about these homonyms, they are not in alphabetic or textual order. The verso is probably from a different source, apparently an Ethical treatise citing rabbinic sources, in Arabic; sporadic vocalization.
- Condition: complete; losses, hole in the center.
Extent19.3 X 7.1 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew language , Homonyms , Early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 311: Judeo-Arabic essay on biblical homonyms are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.