Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 321 Dialectic poem between wine and water
TitleDialectic poem between wine and water
- Yehudah ben Eliyahu,
Call numberHalper 321
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Strophe endings denoted by a sof pasuḳ; Nearly three strophes (ו-ד-ה) from יום עמדו לריב לפני עם סגולה (Davidson, TMHP 1877י) a poetic debate between wine and water by Judah ben Elijah, in which each strophe upholds an alternating side of a debate; Each strophe has eight lines, seven rhyme and the last ends הו-; sporadically vocalized; a complete version is found in a bifolium, Cambridge 8 K15 9: the acrostic signature reads יהודה בן אליהו חזק.
- Condition: nearly complete; losses along edges.
Extent14 X 9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 321: Dialectic poem between wine and water are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.