Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 321 Dialectic poem between wine and water
TitleDialectic poem between wine and water
- Yehudah ben Eliyahu, Yehudah ben Eliyahu,
Call numberHalper 321
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Strophe endings denoted by a sof pasuḳ; Nearly three strophes (ו-ד-ה) from יום עמדו לריב לפני עם סגולה (Davidson, TMHP 1877י) a poetic debate between wine and water by Judah ben Elijah, in which each strophe upholds an alternating side of a debate; Each strophe has eight lines, seven rhyme and the last ends הו-; sporadically vocalized; a complete version is found in a bifolium, Cambridge 8 K15 9: the acrostic signature reads יהודה בן אליהו חזק.
- Condition: nearly complete; losses along edges.
Extent14 X 9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 321: Dialectic poem between wine and water are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.