Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 328 Megilat ha-Śaṭan ha-yaduʹa
TitleMegilat ha-Śaṭan ha-yaduʹa
- Yěhūdah, ha-Levī, ca.1085-1141 Yehudah ha-Leṿi 1079-1140 Judah 1075?-1141 ha-Levi Jehuda ha-Levi, ca 1075-1141 יהודה הלוי Haleṿi, Yehudah Judah, ha-Levi, 1075?-1141 Jehuda Halevi, u.1075-1141. Judah ha-Levi ок.1075-1141 גורדון, יקותיאל בן יהודה ליב Gordon, Yeḳutiʼel ben Yehudah Leyb Yĕhūdāh ha-Lēwī Ha-Levi, Judah, ca 1075-1141 Juda Halevi Иегуда Галеви, u.1075-1141. Halevi, Jehudah
Call numberHalper 328
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- The three lines of the title are in large, hollow letters filled in different colors; each verse starts a new line; verse endings denoted by inverted triangular dots; The first folio of a historical document of the "Megillah" type, in which a miraculous recent event is retold in the style of Esther. Often the "Megillah" is read on the date commemorating the event, stylized as a local "Purim". This one provides a Judeo-Arabic translation after each verse; Entitled מגלת השטן הידוע שמרד \ במלך סולימאן, this "Megillah" retells the events of the rebellion of Ahmad Pasha (here: Basha) against Suleiman I of Turkey in 1524, and its effects on the Jews of Cairo; A complete copy of this "Megillah", in which the Arabic translation appears in a parallel column, is found in London, British Library Or. 7768 (Margoliouth no. 1170).
- Condition: loss at upper internal corner; fol. 1 is blank.
Extent20.3 X 14.6 cm
Material applied: black and colored inks
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 328: Megilat ha-Śaṭan ha-yaduʹa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.