Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 342 Court document (draft)
TitleCourt document (draft)
Other related names
- Halfon ben Menasse, fl. 1100-1138., scribe
Call numberHalper 342
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Written on both sides; diagonal scratch marks, signifying invalidation of the document; A Judeo-Arabic draft from the record book of the Court of Matsliaḥ ha-Kohen Gaʾon, (l. 1: בית דין הגדול של אדוננו מצליח הכהן ראש [...]ע) who served in this capacity between 1127-1138; The hand is recognized as that of the court scribe Ḥalfon ha-Levi ben Menashe. Over 250 such documents have been collected by Gershon Weiss, Legal documents written by the court clerk Halfon Ben Manasse, dated 1100-1138, a study in the diplomatics of the Cairo Geniza (Thesis (Ph.D.) in Oriental Studies--Graduate School of Arts and Sciences), University of Pennsylvania, 1970; The draft records in Judeo-Arabic, a litigation settlement between Shabetai ha-Ḥazzan ben Joseph and his wife, Turfa daughter of ʹAmram. The object of the litigation includes clothes, house wares and a slave girl named Na'im.
- Condition: connected to edge of another folio, as if bifolium from court codex; damaged, faded, losses at bottom, torn.
Extent19 X 12.9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 342: Court document (draft) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.