Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 343 Court record
Call numberHalper 343
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
Between 1127 and 1138
- In the right margin of the recto is an additional inscription in diagonal lines in the opposite direction of the main inscription, as is common in mail items; fol. appears to be folded as a mail item, but there is no address nor delivery instruction; A record in Judeo-Arabic, from the court of Matsliaḥ ha-Kohen Gaʾon, (mentioned in ll. 2, 14, 16, 20) who served in this capacity between 1127-1138. There are no signatures, which indicates that this is not a valid document, rather a court record or letter; 20 dinar has been presented in Alexandria by an honorable S[amuel ben N]issim (l. 9), is to be distributed among the widow and orphans of an unspecified man, recently deceased.
- Condition: damaged losses from upper left edges; folded as a mail item.
Extent26 X 18.1 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 343: Court record are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.