Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 346 Court document
Call numberHalper 346
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageJudeo-Arabic; Hebrew; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
- A legal document in Judeo-Arabic and legal Hebrew-Aramaic, issued in the court of Daniel, titled here here הנשיא הגדול ראש גליות כל ישראל, identical to the title bestowed on Daniel in a Ḳetubah dated one month before this document, in London, British Library Or. 5561B fol. 2, and a few months later in Cambridge T-S 13J 13 fol. 11. See Mann, the Jews of Egypt, vol. I p. 175; The autograph signatures of the clerks of the court, serving here as witnesses, Abraham ha-kohen ben Aaron and Mevorakh ben Nathan he-ḥaver. The latter appears in Genizah documents, as a clerk, judge and scribe in the court of Fustat, between 1150, serving under his father, until 1181, when he served under Maimonides; He appears in the list of judges assembled by S. D. Goitein, A Mediterranean Society vol. II Appendix D, no. 22. The content of the document appears to be in his hand. Compare to Cambridge T-S 13J 1 fol. 21 (dated 1150); The autographs of the judges: Jacob ha-Kohen ben Joseph (found on documents dated 1161-1164, the period preceding that of Maimonides), Menaḥem ben Berakhot and Menasheh ben Joseph, a member of Maimonides'court, 1164-1199. See Goitein, ibid. nos. 19, 27; Testimony that the seven dinar given by Abu'l-Ala ben Asbu Sahl al-Jubaili to Abul'Ma'ali the merchant as a pledge, has been taken from him, he is thus acquitted of any claim. The latter is also known as Samuel ben Judah ibn Asad.
- Condition: nearly complete, damaged; verso, save scribblings in Arabic, is blank.
Extent28 X 26 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 346: Court document are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.