Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 351 Court document
Other related names
- Avraham ben Mosheh, Melamed., scribe
Call numberHalper 351
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- A legal declaration in Judeo-Arabic. Signed in autograph by the court of Mevasser ha-kohen ben Abraham, Abraham ben Moses, who appears to be the scribe of this document, Abraham ben Nathan ("Av ha-Yeshiva", see the list of judges assembled by S. D. Goitein, A Mediterranean Society vol. II Appendix D, no. 14) whose signature appears on documents dated 1098-1114; A young man, Khatsab ben Abu Natsr, claims goods that he gave as a pledge on a loan from Moses Sharaji, who had died. The tax farmers of the market protested, as Khatsab owed them taxes. In this declaration, Khatsab agrees to pay them 2 dinar in cash and 5 and five sixth dinar in installments; These payment orders were transferred to al-Ḥakīm (אלחכים), the representative of the merchants, who would pay the taxes when he payed the orphans of Moses, enabling the delivery of the goods to Khatsab.
- Condition: damaged, losses along all edges, folded widthwise into at least five equal parts; verso is blank.
Extent28 X 26 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 351: Court document are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.