Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 355 Court memo
Other related names
- Halfon ben Manasse, active 1100-1138, scribe
Call numberHalper 355
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- The cut of memo, informal cursive hand, and lack of mail folds, indicate that this is either a draft copy, or an internal memo; The writer addresses an honorable, probably a judge, agreeing to his decision to proceed discreetly, without the presence of witnesses; The hand is recognized as that of the court scribe Ḥalfon ha-Leṿi ben Menasheh. Over 250 such documents have been collected by Gershon Weiss: Legal documents written by the court clerk Halfon ben Menasse, dated 1100-1138, a study in the diplomatics of the Cairo Geniza (Thesis (Ph.D.) in Oriental Studies--Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 1970; Assuming Ḥalfon is the author of this memo, it is likely that it is written to Matsliaḥ ha-kohen Gaon, his mentor for whom Ḥalfon served under for most of his career.
- Condition: parchment unevenly cut, torn; verso is blank, save few scribbled words.
Extent14.3 X 8.2 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 355: Court memo are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.