Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 365 Court document
Other related names
- Hilel ben Eli., scribe
Call numberHalper 365
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageJudeo-Arabic; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
- A document in Judeo-Arabic, mixed with legal Aramaic. Sitt al-Dar, wife of Ṣedaka ha-Levi, promises to comply with the stipulation of her late brother (also named Ṣedaka), that she should provide for her mother and for her mother's funeral; She also promised to pay her brother Hiba abu Sa'id 10 dinar if he appeared in the country. Her husband confirms, and stands security for her promise; The document is signed by the court of Joseph "the expert" ben Elʹazar, Elʹazar ha-kohen he-Ḥazzan ben Eli he-Ḥaver, Joseph ha-kohen ben Nissim, and in the corner, in a different hand, Yakhin ben Abraham; The first of these is signed on a draft of a court document issued in 1085 in Fustat, along with Mevasser ben Ḥalfon, in Oxford Bodleian Heb. d. 66 (Cowely 2878) fol. 133 verso; The hand of the scribe is recognized as that of Hillel ben Eli. Dated documents written by him range from 1066-1108 (Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. II, p. 231).
- Condition: nearly complete, damaged, torn, faded; verso is blank; folded widthwise into four equal quarters.
Extent25.6 X 15 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 365: Court document are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.