Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 372 Marriage contract of Esther
TitleMarriage contract of Esther
Call numberHalper 372
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageOfficial Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Hebrew
Mon. May 24, 1641
- Contains the bottom eight lines, with decorative blessings surrounding the text and eight lines of micography in the remaining empty space at the bottom; These include more details and conditions of the betrothal. The date appears here. The left rule is filled by stretching characters; The bridegroom is Mazal Tov ha-Levi. The document is signed at the bottom of the Ketubah, and again at the bottom of the Additional Conditions: Joshua ben Isaac Menagen. Mazal Tov is a common male name in 17th century Italy; The name R. Joshua Menaghen appears in the index of Italian Rabbis, M. Mortara: Mazkeret ḥakhme Iṭalyah / Marco Mortara. Padua : F. Sacchetto, 1886, p. 39, and is signed as an owner of ms. Berlin Ham. Qu. 687 fol. 183.
- Condition: cropped, unevenly cut, verso is blank; orn., dev., micrography.
Extent31.1 X 46.9 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 372: Marriage contract of Esther are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.