Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 381 Letter
Call numberHalper 381
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- The writer leaves the right third of recto blank for the postscript, of which he used for 8 diagonal lines in the opposite direction. On the left edge he cramps exceeding words in a downward diagonal slant; The identifying details are probably in the missing upper end of the letter. The writer signs at the end עבדו הצעיר עובדיה, he is asking for financial assistance. He states that he as written a request to R. Samuel "the Judge" (perhaps Samuel ben Sa'adia ha-Levi, who served in Maimonides'court in Fustat, and appears in documents ranging between 1165-1203).
- Condition: torn, cropped at top.
Extent24.8 X 11.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew letters
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 381: Letter are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.