Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 390 Business letter to (Yaḥiye) Nahray ben Nissim
TitleBusiness letter to (Yaḥiye) Nahray ben Nissim
- Mardukh ben Musi.1025-1097 Mardukh ben Musi.1025-1097
Call numberHalper 390
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
Jan. 10, 1048
- Signature and address are at bottom of verso; The writer, a native of Tripoli, Libya, was a merchant in Alexandria. Here he writes that he has returned from Alexandria in the month of Tevet, but has yet to receive replies to his two letters. He requests merchandise for trade, currency, jewels, cloves and chemicals; Another letter from Marduk to Nahray is found above no. 385, written in a more cursive hand; The addressee is the recipient of hundreds of Genizah letters, analyzed in the doctoral dissertation of Murad A. Michael: Arkiyono shel Nehoray ben Nissim, baʹal ʹasaḳim be-Mitsrayim be-meʹah ha-aḥat ʹeśreh [The archives of Ben Nissim, a businessman in 11th century Egypt], Jerusalem, 1963; Letters from, Marduk ben Moses were collected by Gil, ibid. nos. 526-541, pp. 757-805, all but two of these are addressed to Nahray.
- Condition: damaged, losses in lower left corner; folded in mail format.
Extent14 X 18.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Commercial correspondence, Judeo-Arabic
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 390: Business letter to (Yaḥiye) Nahray ben Nissim are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.