Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 395 Letter to Ali Abu'l-Ḥasan ben Sa'id "the banker" in the Matsatsa, Fustat
TitleLetter to Ali Abu'l-Ḥasan ben Sa'id "the banker" in the Matsatsa, Fustat
- Ben ʹAmram,9th/10th cent.
Call numberHalper 395
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- In the address, the family name of the addressee is ben al-Matsmudi, Tayib Almarb'aah (Doctor of the Square); The name of the writer is faded. He is in the service of the diggers of a canal for Abu'l-Munajjā. He asks Abu'l-Hassan to approach the Nagid, asking him to induce Abu'l-Munajjā to pay his accumulated salary, and requests to be relieved of his post; He mentions (l. 5)Bakhur ben Naṣr, a notable in Sahur (near Alexandria), and the refinement of sugar in Minya[t Ziftā] (l. 10); In the postscript in the margin he sends regards to acquaintances. On the verso, in the marginal postscript he asks that his family buy wheat and grapes and have them processed; About the neighborhood mentioned in the address, see Goitein, Mediterranean Society, vol. II, p. 264.
- Condition: torn, loss along left edge; folded mail format; marginal postscripts.
Extent25.7 X 17.6 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Sugar trade , History , To 1500 , Egypt
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 395: Letter to Ali Abu'l-Ḥasan ben Sa'id "the banker" in the Matsatsa, Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.