Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 396 Letter
Call numberHalper 396
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- First line of recto bears standard بسملله ("Bismallah") salutation, in Arabic characters; There is no address or signature, nor are there folds, possibly indicating that this is not an original piece of mail, but a copy. In the last line there is mention of Abu al-Bishr, possibly referring to Joseph ibn Awkal; Elḥanan (b. Shemarya)[...]ראש ה (lacuna: "Rosh ha[-Seder?]")is mentioned (l. 16). He served as the head of the Babylonian Community in Fustat between 994-1026. See Mann: The Jews in Egypt and in Palestine under the Fātimids / Jacob Mann. London : Oxford University Press, 1920, v. 1, p. 34-39; Elinoar Bareḳet: Shafrir Mitsraim / Elinoar Bareqet. Tel-Aviv : ha- Makhon le-ḥeḳer ha-tefutsot, Universiṭat Tel-Aviv, 1995. pp. 153-164 (Fustat on the Nile, Leiden, 1999, pp. 205-222).
- Condition: damaged, torn, faded; verso is blank.
Extent27.9 X 18.5 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 396: Letter are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.