Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 399 Business Letter to 'Arus ben Yosef, Fustat
TitleBusiness Letter to 'Arus ben Yosef, Fustat
- Nisim ben Benaya, 11th/12th cent.
Call numberHalper 399
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Exceeding words cramped between lines; verso contains only the signature and address, but has a secondary inscription of a few notes; The addressee is known from other Genizah documents as a dealer in purple cloth. His Hebrew name is Abraham. See Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. I p. 207, index. Eight other articles of his mail have been published by Gil, ibid. nos. 467, 468, 697, 714, 735, 767, 785 and 786; The writer is making sure that the addressee received a sum of money that he brought from Maghreb, although he would have preferred to take out a suftaja in Fustat and receive its equivalent in Alexandria. He was unable to read the previous letter from 'Arus. He sends regards to Abul'Hussein, and his mentor Abu'l-Ifraḥ 'Arus ben Joseph.
- Condition: torn, faded.
Extent24.1 X 11 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Commercial correspondence, Judeo-Arabic
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 399: Business Letter to 'Arus ben Yosef, Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.