Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 401 Letter to Daṿid ha-Leṿi ben Yitsḥaḳ
TitleLetter to Daṿid ha-Leṿi ben Yitsḥaḳ
- Daṿid ben Shekhanya,11th cent. Daṿid ben Shekhanya,11th cent.
Call numberHalper 401
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Written as prose; no graphic division of the poetic verses; first half is vocalized; no other signs that might indicate that this is an article of mail; All of the letter is a laudatory poem in honor of David ha-Leṿi, an Elder of the Karaites in Fustat, and a protector of the Jews in the court of the Caliph. Biographical notes on David ha-Levi were collected by Samuel Miklos Stern, Revue des études juives, v. 128 (1969), p. 209-210; The author served as the court scribe and clerk under Ephraim ben Shemaryah, in the court of the Erets Israeli Rabbanite Jews of Fustat (whose synagogue housed the Genizah), and appears on court documents dated 1020-1024 (see E. Bareqet, Shafrir Mitsraim, 1995, p. 122-123; Fustat on the Nile, Leiden, 1999, pp. 161-162). The verses rhyme in ים-.
- Condition: complete; faded, erasures; verso is blank.
Extent27.9 X 18.7 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 401: Letter to Daṿid ha-Leṿi ben Yitsḥaḳ are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.