Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 405 Business Letter to 'Arus ben Joseph, Fustat
TitleBusiness Letter to 'Arus ben Joseph, Fustat
- Yitsḥaḳ ben Aharon Sigilmasi
Call numberHalper 405
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Verso bears the signature and address; Published, with translation and notes, by M. Gil: Be-malkhut Yishmaʹel bi-teḳufat ha-Geʹonim / Moshe Gil. Tel Aviv University of Tel Aviv, 1997, v. 4, p. 403-404 (no. 735); The addressee is known from other Genizah documents as a dealer in purple cloth. His Hebrew name is Abraham. See Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. I, p. 207, index; Eight other articles of his mail have been published by Gil, ibid. nos. 467, 468, 607, 697, 714, 767, 785 and 786. In the address here the title Abu'l-Ifraḥ is added to his name; The writer informs 'Arus of payments that he made for him. He reports on prices, including that of silk, and of the difficulty of sending currency overland. In the marginal postscript he sends regards to Abu 'Ali ben Solomon (Alashqar).
- Condition: torn along bottom; marginal postscript on recto.
Extent12.4 X 11.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Silk industry , History , To 1500 , Egypt
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 405: Business Letter to 'Arus ben Joseph, Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.