Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 412 Epistle to Abraham ben Sahlan, Fustat
TitleEpistle to Abraham ben Sahlan, Fustat
- Solomon ben Judah, d. 1051 Solomon ben Judah, d. 1051
Call numberHalper 412
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- The address is on the verso of the part that is in Cambridge, in Arabic characters; The author served as the Gaon of the Yeshiva of Erets Israel between 1025-1051. See Mann ibid. vol. I pp. 75-152. 123 Genizah documents from Solomon have been collected and published by M. Gil: Erets Yiśraʾel ba-teḳufat ha-Muslemit ha-rishonah (534-1099) / Moshe Gil. Tel Aviv : University of Tel Aviv, 1983, v. 2, p. 91-299 (nos. 53-175); Solomon addresses his benefactors in Fustat, involving much financial and political conflict; Among the Fustat leaders, famous in Genizah literature, who have donated to the Yeshivah are Ephraim ha-Ḥaver (ben Shemarya, l. 10) leader of the Erets Israeli community between 1020-1047, the addressee, leader of the Baylonian community until 1030, and "the Minister" David (ha-Levi ben Isaac, l. 11), the Karaite Rais al-Yahud; A biography of the addressee has been sketched by E. Bareqet, Shafrir Mitsraim, 1995 pp. 165-172 (= Fustat on the Nile, Leiden, 1999, pp. 222-233). In the address here he is referred to as Ibn Sunbat. See, in the list of judges assembled by S. D. Goitein, Mediterranean Society vol. II Appendix D, no. 6.
- Condition: losses from top and bottom; verso is blank.
Extent26.6 X 18.2 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew letters
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 412: Epistle to Abraham ben Sahlan, Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.