Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 414 Letter to Judah ben Moses ben Sujmar of Fustat
TitleLetter to Judah ben Moses ben Sujmar of Fustat
- Salamah ben Musa ben Yitsḥaḳ
Call numberHalper 414
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- The writer, Solomon is an established sea merchant who has a high volume of international trade; He is writing to his business partner not long after a previous letter, found above no. 389 (M. Ben-Sasson: Yehude Sitsilyah, 825-1068 / Menahem Ben-Sasson. Jerusalem : Mekhon Ben-Tsevi, 1991, p. 65-88, no. 12; M. Gil, Be-Malkhut Yishmaʾel bi-teḳufat ha-Geʾonim / Mosheh Gil. University of Tel Aviv, 1997, v. 4, p. 453-474, no.751), in which Solomon threatened to break up the partnership with Judah, amid political instability in his home port of Sfax, which caused him difficulty and losses, but is willing to absorb the losses, and to consider the continuation of the partnership; Although there is an upper margin here, this is not the beginning of the letter, neither is it folded or addressed in mail format. Notwithstanding Goitein (Mediterranean Society vol. I, pp. 440), this is not a continuation of letter (Halper 389; see M. Gil: Italia judaica : atti del I Convegno internazionale : Bari 18-22 maggio 1981. Rome : Ministero per i beni culturali e ambiental, 1981).
- Condition: damaged; verso is blank.
Extent15.5 X 19 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Taxes, Farming of
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 414: Letter to Judah ben Moses ben Sujmar of Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.