Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 418 Letter to an honorable rabbi
TitleLetter to an honorable rabbi
Call numberHalper 418
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- The writer is requesting support. He opens with Psalms XLI 2. The hand appears to be that of the court scribe Ḥalfon ha-Leṿi ben Menasheh; Over 250 legal documents written by Ḥalfon have been collected by Gershon Weiss, Legal documents written by the court clerk Ḥalfon ben Menasheh, dated 1100-1138, a study in the diplomatics of the Cairo Geniza (Thesis (Ph.D.) in Oriental Studies--Graduate School of Arts and Sciences), University of Pennsylvania, 1970; It is possible that the writer had Ḥalfon write this document, to show official approval and support for his collecting of donations. The fragment is missing the signatures and address.
- Condition: fragment, torn, from right edge, mostly faded, illegible; marginalia; verso is blank.
Extent11.9 X 11.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Judeo-Arabic letters
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 418: Letter to an honorable rabbi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.