Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 466 List of contributors for the ransom of a captive from Antiochia
TitleList of contributors for the ransom of a captive from Antiochia
Call numberHalper 466
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
LanguageJudeo-Arabic; Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
- Two complete columns fill the recto, a third fills three quarters of the left column on the verso. The columns are divided into 6 lists, according to the days of collection (or appeals), such as Shemini Atseret, and Monday the First of Marḥeshṿan, which appear at the head of each list. Three of the payments in column II were made through the banker Ṣadaqa al-'Attar. This scribe has also written other such lists of charitable operations, Cambridge T-S Misc. 8 fols. 9, 29 and 76, donations toward building a synagogue ca. 1095; T-S K15.70; T-S NS J 41, distribution of bread; Lists of contributors: T-S K15.106; T-S NS J 403; Much of the contents of the list were described by Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. II Appendix C no. 135 (pp. 507-508).
- Condition: damaged, losses along left edge, faded; folded lengthwise into two halves.
Extent26.6 X 19 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Jews , Charitable contributions , Egypt
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 466: List of contributors for the ransom of a captive from Antiochia are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.