Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 468 Lists of beneficiaries for the poll tax
TitleLists of beneficiaries for the poll tax
Call numberHalper 468
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- 2 lists of people needing aid in paying the polltax. The first list, in a well-ruled semi-cursive hand, consists of 51 names, often providing additional information about the beneficiaries, including places of origin and professions. Three of these descriptions, verso col. 1, are in Arabic characters. After 11 lines on verso col. 1, hand changes to a primitive, unprofessional square hand, poorly ruled, with many spelling errors, often cramping more than one name per line, particularly towards the end. In this list only the names (about 55 of them) are provided; Some of the names also appear in similar lists in Cambridge T-S K15.93 and 96, and T-S 13J 6.20, which are probably from the mid-11th century; Much of the contents of the list were described by Goitein, Mediterranean Society, vol. II Appendix B no. 107 (p. 467).
- Condition: complete; faded; different hands.
Extent26.6 X 17.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Poll tax , Lists
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 468: Lists of beneficiaries for the poll tax are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.