Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Halper 471 Account book
Call numberHalper 471
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Part of grocer's account book. It seems to belong to the beginning of the eighteenth century, and covers a number of years. The dates are given in accordance to the Sidras of the week. One of the years is marked ??? ??? ???? ?? ?(463 =1703) [cataloger's note: ??? ???? ?? is Is. 62:11; this appears on fol. 12r]. Seventeen narrow paper leaves apart from three attached pieces, forming three fascicles fastened by a string. The second fascicle, which seems to be complete, has eight leaves, and it is likely that the others also had the same number, but some of the leaves are torn off. Size 8 5/8 X 3 1/8 ins. (=21.9 X 7.9 cm.). Number of lines to a page is irregular. Yemenite cursive character. [Sulzberger]. Description from Dropsie mansucript description for RAR MS73: Part of a Pinkas (????) or Synagogue Ledger in Hebrew and Judeo-Arabic detailing the income and expenditure of the synagogue according to the Parashiyyot or hebdomanal readings from the Torah. The years covered here are 401-407 (1641-1647 C.E.). Paper, faded and water-stained, 8 1/2 3 1/8 inches, 18 leaves, some which are considerable damaged and only partly preserved. Written by different hands in cursive Oriental characters, in black ink. Date as aforementioned. Provenance Egypt, probably Cairo. Gift of Mayer Sulzberger.
- Condition: fragment, upper portion of fol.
Extent21.9 X 7.9 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Account books
- Trade, History to 1800, Egypt
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 471: Account book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.