Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Misc Mss (Large) Box 2 Folder 23 Miscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
TitleMiscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
Call numberMisc Mss (Large) Box 2 Folder 23
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5643795
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Three leaves (six pages) from a letter copy book by an anonymous author. The letters to an absentee plantation owner, Mr. Campbell, concern account books, sales of sugar and rum, condition of crops, and the mills. The plantation is on the island of St. Kitts, and a purchase of adjacent land parcels enlarge the owner's sugar cane crops. The writer discusses buying slaves and points out in one paragraph that there are "no Gold Coast slaves to be purchased." Trading connections with Basseterre, Antigua, and St. Vincent and the names of ships and trade companies are also mentioned. One letter fragment is dated 1763 and addressed to Mr. John Aitchison.
- Sold by Michael Brown Rare Books (Philadelphia, Pa.), 2012.
- Plantations--West Indies, British--18th century
- Slavery--West Indies, British--Early works to 1800
- Sugar trade--West Indies, British--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, Digital