Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Misc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 10 Miscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
TitleMiscellaneous manuscripts (Large)
- Bingham, Geffrey de Bingham, Geffrey de
- Leyk, Johan de Leyk, Johan de
Call numberMisc Mss (Large) Box 1 Folder 10
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4576180
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageIn Middle French
Agreement between Geffrey de Bingham and Johan de Leyk that they will submit their dispute to arbitration by Roger de Seint Andreu and Sir Richard de Wylughby (for Geffrey) and Sir John de Munteny and Nicol de Wyemerpol (for John), and in default, if the arbitrators cannot agree, to Sir William Fitzwilliam. Written in Nottingham and dated 27 September 1316 (the Monday following the feast of Saint Matthew (21 September), the [?] year of the reign of King Edward, son of King Edward the Second, year assigned by Sotheby's). The document states that Geffrey and Johan set their seals to the agreement; the seals do not survive, but one strip of parchment for a seal and a second slit for a strip and seal are at the bottom of the document. The top and right edges of the document are serrated.
- Sir John de Munteny appears as Sir John de Monteny in other Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire records and was knighted in 1306; Sir William Fitzwilliam also is known from other Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire records (Sotheby's).
Extent1 252 x 362 mm
- Sold in a collection of charters at auction at Sotheby's, 7 July 2009 (lot 10).
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, French--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval