Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Misc Mss (Large) Box 3 Folder 9 Box 3 Folder 9 Francis I brevet
TitleFrancis I brevet
- Francis I, King of France, 1494-1547 Francis I, King of France, 1494-1547
Other related names
- Gouffier, Guillaume, approximately 1488-1525, signer
- Le Breton, Jean, 16th century, signer
Call numberMisc Mss (Large) Box 3 Folder 9 Box 3 Folder 9
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9977135329003681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageIn Middle French
Commission signed by Francis I for the vicomte de Turenne (Antoine de La Tour, seigneur d'Oliergues), referred to by the king as a cousin, who married Antoinette de Pons, daughter of Guy and Jeanne de Castelnau, in 1494 and died in 1527. The commission grants the rank of captain and charge of twenty-five lances and fifty men-at-arms. The signature "Francoys" is inside a fold along the bottom edge of the document, with the signatures of Guillaume Gouffier, seigneur de Bonnivet and admiral of France, and Jean Le Breton, minister of finance, on the front of the fold. There are slits for a seal, which is no longer present. Rodent damage with some loss of text along folds. Later capsule description in ink on verso, added to be visible when the document was folded and filed.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 203 x 440 mm
- Sold by Vitaliy Shteyngolts, 2017.
- Military commissions
- Manuscripts, French--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Misc Mss (Large) Box 3 Folder 9 Box 3 Folder 9: Francis I brevet are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.